Friday, January 25, 2008

And then there was one

Today marks the one year anniversary of my return from my mission. It has both come and gone quietly. I didn't even realize that it was here until this morning actually.

I think that these are really the best moments to think about progress and life in general. I know that there are holidays in place for these sorts of things but they tend to get swallowed up in celebration. At New Years, we are supposed to look forward to how we will improve in the next year. At Thanksgiving, we are supposed to look backwards to what we have been given. Even birthdays have a bit of reflection involved, but I have a rotten habit of ignoring that part in the rumbling of food, games, and family.

Not that any of those things are bad things, but I'm certainly grateful for days like today that I just get to think about what I've become. It isn't exactly what I wished that I would, but quiet reflection has reminded me that I am moving forward. And I'm just fine with that. Celebrating alone allows for remorse and joy, and both feed a dedication for continued efforts.

In any case, happy anniversary to me, and good night to all those who have patiently put up with my little reflection.

6 comments:

Crolace said...

Has it really been a year? That makes it 2 1/2 for me. Ca-razy!

Ms. T said...

Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary!
Haaaaapy Anniversary!
Happy!
Happy!
Happy!
Happy!
Happy Anniversary!.......etc.

Man o Steel said...

yeah. Sometimes I have these moments where I think something along these lines.

Wow! It's been a whole year. It seems like forever ago, but 365 days ago it seemed a lot like now, cause that's what it was. I have had all of these experiences and opportunities and I still... haven't done ... anything.

*sigh*

Maybe you feel differently but I've been feeling a lot like I've been building a lot of castles in the sand that haven't really done me that much good. Then again, what else could I be doing? Might as well be sand castles and if I'm going to be making sand castles, at least they will be the coolest frigging sand castles ever.

Bran said...

Xister, I think that you're super swell. If it were true that "and then there were one," and that you were the only other person alive in the world and the whole world was open for living space, I would still choose to be your roommate because you're friggin' awesome.

Bran said...

Remember how I said once that I don't make verb tense errors....
Well that "were" in the previous sentence made a whole lot of sense in my mind with that whole subjunctive tense thing, but now it just looks ridiculous.

Bran said...

And when I said sentence, I meant post

What an off day this is!