Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Falling with style

I read the following quote today:

We like to praise birds for flying. But how much of it is actually flying, and how much of it is just sort of coasting from the previous flap?

-Jack Handey

And I thought it was perhaps mildly inspirational, but mostly just really funny. If I wanted to turn this into a serious post, I might make some sort of comment about how we often covet the positions of those in life who are figuratively flying when we in fact are just as capable but simply don't realize that most of the time we would only need to coast from previous flaps.

But I don't plan to make this serious, so I'll just leave that whole discussion off.

4 comments:

Day said...

By the way, I wanted to mention that I enjoy your blog. :)

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

Patrick, I think you should put up your favorite Jack Handey quotes. Makes me jovial.

Jerry said...

Q: Why do chickens have wings if they weren't meant to fly?

A: BBQ Sauce.

display name said...

I think it's the word "flap" that makes this quote so funny.