Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Violence and me, the sequel

These have less to do with violence and more to do with my morbid imagination and pessimism:

1) Each year we get a Christmas present for our choir teacher. This year we are flying out her father from Wales to spend the holiday with her. But I was imagining what would happen if the plane crashed. "Merry Christmas, Sister Hall! We don't think you've ever gotten a present like this before!"

2) Walking to campus last week, I started choking on the sandwich I was eating. There wasn't anyone around, and it made me think about how depressing it would be to die by choking on PB&J. How unpoetic is that? I think that I'd much rather be hit by a bus or be attacked by rabid butterflies. Or at least by choking on a more classy type of sandwich. (Ham and cheese maybe.)

3) Walking to campus last week on a different day, I saw a girl sitting by the duck pond on a rock looking very pensive and a little sad. I then had the overwhelming urge to run up and push her into the pond. Can you imagine being a little sad because your boyfriend had just broken up with you earlier that week, so you decided to find comfort in being one with nature for a moment? And maybe it was starting to work, at least until some random jerk that you don't even know bowled you into a gross pond? And then he ran away? It certainly wouldn't be an experience you'd soon forget.

And I sort of think that it is my calling in life to make sure that other people have interesting stories to tell their grandchildren 60 years from now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you pushed me into a pond after I broke up with someone, I think I would probably just take that opportunity to vent my anguish on you.

In which case, I think it would probably be funnier for me in the end. Come to think of it, I'll sit by the pond tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

Crolace said...

Oh, I wish that feeling wasn't so familiar! I'm constantly fighting the urge to push people into the water at inappropriate times!

mlh said...

I think this is a good sign that you either need to start reading fewer or more murder mystery books.

As for myself, a run of episodes of Law and Order has left me certain that I'm going to come across a corpse while walking around campus--maybe your PB&J-clogged one.