Friday, July 31, 2009

Two things I've learned this summer

To keep my mouth shut more:
At the beginning of the summer, I was working away at my desk listening to my iPod when my cubicle neighbor came over, tapped me on the shoulder, and said, "Your humming is very nice, but I'm having a hard time focusing over here." What made it even worse is that I knew she was there and was making a conscience effort not to hum or sing or tap my desk in time to the music. And I did it anyways. I've been trying really hard since then, and I think that I'm better at not bothering people anymore. Or perhaps they've all decided to work in other places since it seems that my area of the cubicle farm is relatively vacant recently.

To open my mouth more:
One thing that I love about Boston is that more than 10% of the people I know aren't Mormon, so I get to be a sort of liason for the Church. I've had all sorts of great experiences talking to people about it, and I love it. My favorite story from this summer so far is helping a Norweigan stranger break into someone's house and then inviting him to church.

5 comments:

jaks said...

You must have been hoping someone would ask this; could you please elaborate just a LITTLE bit more on the breaking-in/inviting to church story? I'm guessing there's some important background that could make this synopsis come out differently :)

Day said...

^^ Seriously. :P

Crolace said...

I've heard this story several times (and retold it several more). Maybe the reason he's not posting about it in more detail is that I gave him a hard time about having to listen to it three times in one day.

Xister, you have my permission to tell the whole story. :)

Crolace said...

Oh, but I meant to comment about the humming. I was going to make some clever comment about how, if you were humming, then you were keeping your mouth shut.

I vote the next time someone at work tells you to stop singing, you burst out with a rendition of "You Can't Stop the Beat" from Hairspray.

Deon said...

Yeah, I was going to suggest "How Can I Keep from Singing?" but the Hairspray number would be better.