Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Cruelest Month

In high school, two of my sisters took a course where some guy read some poem. I don't know who the guy is or what the poem is or anything beyond the first line, but my sisters would often quote the first line in a dramatic British accent: "April is the cruelest monTH."

That guy was totally wrong. It's February.

February is cold. February is dark. February is the time that school work seems to start piling up and there is no break in sight. February is the third lap of the 1600 where you are already exhausted, but you realize that you have to do again what you've already done, except that you can't breathe.

Anything that might seem a little bad in another month is awful in February. I have nothing against Valentine's Day; I actually really like being single. However, since it is in February, Valentine's Day makes me forget all the independence singledom affords and makes me wonder why I'm not dating anyone. (The answer is that I don't really go on many dates.) I'd probably be more patriotic if Presidents' Day was in March.

Anything that seems awesome in another month is just mediocre in February. I was wandering though town the other day thinking about how much fun my life is currently, but it was odd because I still felt a little glum. I couldn't figure it out until I realized that it is February.

A funny thing about February is that, since I don't pay much attention to my feelings, I usually don't notice that I'm depressed until I recognize external signals. The main one is that I make lots of useless purchases. At BYU, this was mostly office supplies. Today I bought a pair of scissors and some mechanical pencils. Recently though, I'm starting to buy more expensive things. I got some goggles on Monday and I'm about 1/2 inch from buying a computer monitor today. It's not like I think, "I depressed... I think I'll buy something." Rather, I think "I really need this thing," and then in March I look back a realize that the previous month, I spent $800 on Red Vines or model airplanes.

Maybe I should buy one of those sunlights. They are only like $100 and they will make me feel better. And while I'm online, I should get one of these, and one of these, and a few of these...

6 comments:

Bob said...

Nice post...hey, wait a minute!

First, you totally stole that "February is the cruelest month" line from me from when you came over to our house a couple days ago; second, I can't believe you credit your sisters and not me, and third, it was TS Eliot. C'mon.

Sorry you're home sick today. Get better soon!

xister said...

Sorry Bob. He was the one who first made this joke, but it is true that I associate the poem with my sisters.

Stacia said...

Oh my gosh Patrick! Hi, I saw you're blog on Mer's so i'm stalking you! I bet that makes you feel good! :) Anyway, I totally agree with you, February is the most depressing month of the year, no lie! Thankfully, it's also the shortest! So in two weeks it will be over and you can continue being your normal chipper self! Sounds good, right?

Ms. T said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. T said...

I think you forgot. You have a sister who has a birthday in this month. I'm kind of worried at why you hate the month your little sister was born in so much, don't you like me?

Jerry said...

In the past I would agree with you that February is a terrible month. But since I found Jimmer my spirits have been lifted.