Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Clutter Therapy

I was looking my friends blog tonight and came across a post of him lamenting over the impermanent nature of the cleanliness of his room. I chuckled to myself, realizing that I gave up the battle of permanence long ago.

Don't get me wrong though: I am a generally clean person. I like having a clean room and an uncluttered desk; however, I know that when life gets cluttered itself, a clean desk comes after passing my classes and sleeping at night on my list of priorities.

Actually, I think there is something deeply meaningful about a messy room. I’ve recently noticed the the state of my desk parallels the state of my life; when I notice that my desk is getting too cluttered to do anything useful with it, it’s time for a change. (On my desk and in my life.)

If my room were consistently clean, then I’d have no way to tell that my life is a clutter. I would be unknowingly simmering in stressful living and wouldn’t think to get out until I ended up spontaneously bursting into tears of frustration in the JFSB Quad someday.

And furthermore, I think that using psychology to justify my bad habits is among the most genius ideas ever!

3 comments:

Portia said...

I happen to think that there exists a comfortable level of clutter that should remain relatively constant in my house. Sometimes the kitchen is messy, but the living room is picked up. Sometimes my bed isn't made, but the baby toys are off the floor of the tub. This helps with the whole fleeting-ness of cleanliness thing.

Amy said...

I fully agree. My side of the room tends to get a little messy during the semester. I mean, not unreasonable, but a little cluttered. I think it's perfectly acceptable because I do it and well, I'm never wrong or weird or anything like that.

Bran said...

I like that our room is kind of cluttered. It gives it character.

if it wasn't cluttered then it would just be boring. It would look like no one lived there. And that would be lame!