Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Amazing Blessings

So it turns out that I'm a starving college student. I wasn't always this way, but this summer I've been spending a lot more than I've been earning, and I noticed suddenly last Friday that I had $20 to my name in both my savings and checking account.

I was only slightly concerned. I'm a member of a dinner group, and I had already bought the food that I needed to cook when it was my turn next. I also often eat lunch at my parents' house after I babysit my sister's kids. All I really needed to worry about was breakfast, and $20 should've been more that enough to take care of that.

However, I woke up on Sunday morning and I remembered that it was fast Sunday. This may seem like just the thing a struggling budget might need; however, I pay my tithing on fast Sundays. I quickly looked up how much I owed and it was $40.

"Hmm," I thought. "How am I going to make this work?" I wrote out the check anyways and handed it in, knowing that the extra would be absorbed into the line of credit on my account. It was a little intimidating to go into debt to pay tithing, though. Knowing that my dad would likely disown me if I were to try to cover my expenses by selling my plasma, I went throughout that day trying to figure out how I'd make ends meet that month.

That evening, I walked into my apartment and noticed a letter on the table that my roommate had brought in from the mailbox that afternoon from Brent Brown Chevrolet. I had bought my car from them several months ago, so I just figured it was a letter saying that they wanted me to by another car from them.

I started walking down the hall to my room as I tore open the envelope. Inside was a $70 check! I couldn't believe it.

"BLESSINGS!!!" I shouted. One of my roommates had just come out of his room to the hallway and looked surprised that I was shouting high-pitched, incomprehensible exclamations in the hallway. After I had calmed down a bit, I was able to explain the whole thing to him.

Lest you be a skeptic, I realize that the check was in the mail much before I paid my tithing and probably even before I realized that I was really hurting for cash. I think though that the main lesson to be learned here is to just do what's right, because God is already taking care of the details you.

In any case, I think that this story is almost Ensign-worthy. The only thing that would make it better is if I had 3 starving children and lived in Tahiti. I mostly just think that it's fun that I have my own tithing story that I can one day tell my grandkids.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to be an inspiration to your grandchildren, Xister. I would recommend you to any of the pretty girls I know.

Lindsay said...

I think everyone has a tithing story like that to tell (we have about three in my family). But still, hooray for blessings!

Crolace said...

I don't think Dad would disown you if you sold plasma to make ends meet. I think he would think that was very resourceful of you.

Unknown said...

How sad. I just realized that you meant to sell your bodily fluids. I had been thinking you had a plasma TV you were considering selling.

What a strange thing.

mlh said...

You have 3 starving children in Tahiti? You should take better care of them--people who desert their children don't deserve blessings.

Amy said...

Ummm, weren't you rich once? What happened? I'm very proud of you though. Someday you'll have your 3 starving children and will live in a shanty and you can chalk your story up one notch. :)