Sunday, January 3, 2010

Just a few funny things

I haven't said anything in a while, but I see little things all the time that make me laugh so I thought I would do a short post about them.

A few weeks ago, I saw a sign in the FOB that said "One in three people need blood during their lifetime." How cool would that be to be one of the two thirds who don't need blood? And how does one find out that they don't need their blood? I'm pretty sure we are all born with it.

Crolace was talking to me the other day about how she heard on the radio that this year half of the United States will become Hispanic. It would've been convenient to have been in the half that changed since I've been applying to graduate schools recently and all of them ask about that.

I saw a banner about a regional Singles Christmas Fireside that said that only those 8 years and older are invited. I'm trying to think of why a 9 year-old would go. They must just be planning way in advance.

I asked my mother today if being nicer to people was a good goal. She told me that it wasn't since I couldn't attain it. It's good to have a mother who believes in me. (In her defense, I think that she meant that it's not a good goal since it is something that is not measurable.)

4 comments:

Christian said...

Editing blunders (like the 8 and older) are always funny. One of my favorites is the classic (at least classic to my teachers when I was in editing classes) one where the relief society were going to have an enrichment activity on "marital arts" but everyone was confused because they actually wrote "martial arts." I think a lot of ladies didn't come or came in work out clothes.

xister said...

I'm not sure that it was an editing blunder. (Though I supposed they may have just left off a "1".) I just assumed it meant, "Don't bring your kids unless they are old enough."

Deon said...

Now I must defend myself! Measurable-ness wasn't the issue.

There is a difference between a goal and a resolution.

"To be nice to people" isn't a goal. Otherwise, upon being nice to one person, the goal is met. I don't think that is what you meant.

If what you want to do is change your demeanor -- to be nice to people in general, that is a resolution.

I have every faith that you can make a change to be nicer to people. But I don't trust a person who sets "begin nice" as a goal. Nice is different from good.

Meridith Reed said...

Remember when you used to write on this blog? Before you became so busy with your glamorous and highly prestigious life? :)