Monday, July 5, 2010

The Last Day

I've been watching episodes from this TV show called "Bones" recently. It's about an FBI team where one guy is the classic FBI tough guy and his partner is a female forensic anthropologist. They solve murders. In order to solve these murders, they do lots of science and often try to piece together the last few days of a person's life.

So of course, I've been a little paranoid as I walk around late at night about being slaughtered on the streets of Cambridge. As I was walking home today, however, I was thinking about how easy it would be to track my last 24 hours if I were murdered on the way home because so much of the stuff I do is time stamped.

24 hours ago, I was just finished a game of Settlers with my brother and sister-in-law. You could ask them and find out.

I went to bed at around 12:32. I know this because I got an email right as I was climbing into bed and it reminded me to turn of the sound on my phone so I could sleep.

My alarm went off at 8:30 and I got to work before 10:14 when I sent an email off to someone to help me with network problems I've been having.

I worked until around 2pm when I went and bought a double cheeseburger from Flat Patties at 2:13pm. I know this from my receipt.

I then went back to work and stayed there until 5:25, when I sent a text to my sister-in-law telling her I was on my way over.

I left their place at 6:40 and called my friend at 6:43 while I walked to FHE.

I caught a train back to Harvard at 10:13, right after hanging up with my HT companion.

I arrived at Littauer (the Harvard Econ building) a little after 10:20 after hanging up with my HT companion again.

I finished up work at 11:20pm and walked home after sending an email to my boss.

Not that anyone reading this is interested in the play-by-play of my life, but I thought that it was interesting that I can account for almost every minute if I had to.

This got me thinking about how we should live every day as if it were the last day of our life. Of course, clearly some philosophies aren't for all people, but I was thinking that it would be a cool tradition if at a person's funeral, someone recounted that person's last 24 hours or so in as much detail as possible. Maybe that's morbid, but I think that I would have really meaningful days if I knew that is what was going to happen.

6 comments:

display name said...

Maybe a little morbid, but not too morbid because I am pretty sure that the very last 24 hours of most people's lives are actually kind of boring from an outsider's perspective...

Now, from the perspective of the soon-to-be deceased, it's difficult to say, since none of them are around to tell us about it.

Jerry said...

If I were to murder you, I would be sure to hack into all your accounts-and now that I know how you spend the average day, it would be easy to throw detectives off the trail.

Christian said...

I kinda became obsessed with Bones earlier this summer and watched all of the first 4 seasons on Netflix. It's pretty awesome. I never watch things on actual TV, though, so I have no idea what's been going on this season.

Interestingly, though, the technical aspect is something they almost never discuss—it's all bone trauma and interrogations, no hacking the phone to see who they contacted last.

xister said...

Same deal. I'm about half-way through season 3.

They can't spend too much time hacking cell-phones though. Otherwise, they'd have to rename it "Bones and Phones."

Unknown said...

It's pretty amazing what information even the lay person can dig up about you, to be honest.

You can rest easily knowing you can't be stalked very well based on your blogging history, at least...well, until now.

Lindsay said...

Based on the many, many Law & Order reruns I've watched in my life, that electronic "paper trail" still leaves plenty of unaccounted-for time in which you could commit a murder. So you should probably work on shoring up your alibi for the cops.